butter (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325° F)
- Combine butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until butter melts.
- Dissolve the carbonate of soda into the boiling water and add to the butter mixture.
- Sift the flour with the salt and add the sugar, coconut, and rolled oats.
- Stir the butter mixture into the dry ingredients until it forms a stiff dough.
- Drop small lumps of dough onto a lightly greased baking pan. Press down on each with a fork. Make sure you leave room between the biscuits for them to expand.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 - 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the biscuits rest for a minute or two. Then carefully remove the biscuits to wire racks for cooling.
- Store in an airtight container. Makes about 36 biscuits.